Monday, August 16, 2010

Senior ladies, how did you mom curl your hair when you were a young child?

I remember the pink rollers that left the marks in your hair, the brush rollers, (that hurt like heck if you tried to sleep on them,) the pin curls with bobbie pins! lol Did any of you have your mom curl your hair in long locks by just curling your long hair around her finger?Senior ladies, how did you mom curl your hair when you were a young child?
As a child, my mother braided my hair. Sometimes even


looped it and tied it with ribbons. I hated it. I wanted long


coiled curls, like a little girl in church wore one Easter Sunday. I envied her hair, and her black pattent leather shoes.


It wasn't until around sixth grade, mother allowed mine to be cut, and it was permed. And I wore it brushed up at the bottom. When the perm straightened more, I began pinning it into curls at night. And I took care of my own hair ever since. I


went to foam rubber curlers when they were available, and


shunned the brush rollers I hated. Later still, I went to the


larger plastic rollers in highschool, when the 'bubble' look


came in. Alot of us had 'bubble heads' back then LOL.Senior ladies, how did you mom curl your hair when you were a young child?
My hair has changed texture many times. For about two years my naturally curly hair became mostly straight. My mom would use hairpins to put in pincurls at night. Half the hairpins would fall out and I'd walk around with hair on one side of my head hanging down, and the hair on the other side of my head sticking out. I also remember the pink curlers, the brush curlers (that got stuck in your hair), and when my curly hair came back, sleeping on orange juice cans every night to try to straighten out the unpopular kinks. My mom did curl the babies' hair by licking her finger and wrapping their hair around her finger.
When I was a little older I used bobby pins to curl my hair and also those spongy pink rollers. But when I was young enough for my mom to fix my hair she usually braided it and pinned the braids up on top of my head. I do remember her giving me a perm once. I was pretty much a ';plain Jane'; kid and was chosen to play one of Cinderella's stepsisters in a grade school play. My mom was so happy for me that she gave me the perm so I would look my best---and I did! I didn't look like the ugly stepsister was supposed to look!
Yes, to all these methods. I had shiny, slippery stick-straight hair and my mother tried everything to make it look nice, with varying degrees of success. One of the worst pictures was the time she wrapped it in rags and made banana curls and cut the bangs about 1/2 long. She fooled with it for the longest time and I ended up pouting and looking mean in the picture. A good many of our battles were about hair.
OMG - and I had just gotten over the nightmares about having a Tonette perm put in my hair. You know the ones where your pretty, soft hair instantly turns into a fuzzball? Who gave moms a right to buy these and administer them to their daughters?





But later I also remember the pink curlers that leave the marks on your hair. And sleeping in them at night. Yikes! All that just to have creases in your hair you didn't want.





Then, the foam curlers. Ahhh. Much better.





But what I loved was in high school when Scotch came out with the tape for the curls on the side of your face. I loved that stuff.





Thanks for the memories - some good, some not so good!








PS: FL GIRL: I had forgotten about Spoolies. Thoses little plastic things that flipped over themselves. I loved them!
You haven't gone back far enough! My mother curled my hair with strips of old sheets and sometimes, if I was going somewhere special, she put the polker in the fire, heated it up, let it cool just for a second, then used it as a curling iron.





No I am not 95 - just a young 76. This question has brought back some childhood memories, including using torn up pieces of newspaper (during the second world war) for toilet paper. I cannot believe we had to do that, but we did.
My mom died in 1943, when I was 8 years old.





When she was alive she rolled my ringlets in rags.





I tried doing my daughters hair and it was just okay . . . Not that great for all the work involved..





There must have been a knack to making perfect ringlets with strips of rags.





My pictures show perfect even ringlets.





Those were the early days before rollers and of course the rags were easier to sleep on.





DeeJay.
My mother curled my hair with these little metal rollers that you closed and fastened and it had a red tip on the end of the closure. We went to my aunts one day so she could give me a Tony perm. I took the directions out of the box before we left and forgot to put them back in. My Aunt just guessed at it and gave me the perm anyway. I had to go to school looking like Don King for weeks !!!! hahahaha !!!
With a curling iron that she heated on the stove, rags, bobby pins, spoolies, steel curlers with a clip on them.





With no at-home hair dryers, we had to set our hair at night, and suffer in bed with various things in our hair.
OMG yes. My mother labored under the illusion that I had curly hair like my twin brother. So she permed and curled my hair every night. I hate pin curls!!! There I said it. It was cruel and unusual punishment.
My hair is naturally curly. However I did try to iron it and sometimes I would ';roll'; it up on empty soda cans. Is this for a report at school or something?


Light %26amp; love,
Pin curls for me. - And an occasional Toni Home Permanent.


(Which one has the Toni?)





My mother did make those curls. Kielbasi curls in our family.
I had perms, and my mom made pin curls in my hair. Later she used the pink rollers that you talk about.
My sisters would dampen my hair - section it evenly and then twist it into spirals and then tie with with rags. Now I use Hot Rollers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CJ
mommy like the brush rollers, you are right they hurt like the dickens when you tried to sleep in them.
My sisters had their hair curled with a hot iron off the kitchen wood stove, then my ma wound them and wrapped them.
same here and I hated them...now i use the pink sponge ones all the time for curl!
Reading all the answers has made me very glad my mum didn't do any of that. as my hair was a mass of waves and she left it like that.
My mom curled my hair around her finger ... We called them banana curls.
When I was young, my mother curled my hair in rags and did the same for my three younger sisters. What an ordeal that must have been for her.
My mom used the pink sponge rollers and when my nana did it, she used rags!
Yes. She tried to make me look like Shirley Temple!
I would not let my mother curl my hair. I liked it as it was and is, a little wavy but not curly.

No comments:

Post a Comment